Pets are priceless, but veterinarian bills can be pricey. Pet insurance can soothe the wound of a financial bleed for those unexpected injuries, illnesses, and accidents. Embrace Pet Insurance offers you the opportunity to protect your pets while you protect your wallet.
on Embrace Pet Insurance secured website
Average Customer Rating
What we like:
|Monthly Premium||Average of $23 for cats and $35 for dogs|
|Deductible||$200 to $1,000|
|Coverage||70 to 90 percent|
|Age Restrictions||Eligible up to 14 years old |
Accident-only coverage for 15 years and older
Visit the Embrace Pet Insurance website or get a quote for pet insurance
Visit Insurer WebsiteGet Quote
In this review, we cover the pros and cons of Embrace Pet Insurance, as well as what is and isn’t covered, cost, discounts, and reviews.
In This Article
What We Like
Embrace Pet Insurance features a number of pros we highlight below. Our favorite feature is the diminishing deductible. For every year you don’t get paid for a claim, your deductible is reduced by $50. Other positive features include:
- Reimbursement rate up to 90 percent. Choose your reimbursement rate from 70, 80, or 90 percent. You also get to choose the maximum reimbursement amount for the year – from $5,000 to $30,000.
- Choice of deductible. Choose your deductible to further customize your pet insurance policy. Choose from $1,000, $750, $500, $300, or $200.
- Wellness Rewards program for routine care. Add on the optional wellness reimbursement program, and receive extra coverage for your pets. In addition to basic emergency coverage, this flexible preventative care plan offers you the opportunity to get reimbursed for regular vet visits as well.
- 10 percent multi-pet discount. For homes with multiple furry family members, this pet insurance offers 10 percent off each additional pet added to the insurance coverage.
- Accident-only coverage for seniors 15 years and older. Embrace insures new-customer senior pets if they’re 15 years old or over with a limited coverage opportunity for unexpected accidents and injuries.
What We Don’t Like
No pet insurance company covers preexisting conditions. Embrace tries to make up for that fact with an amendment to the general rule. Curable preexisting conditions are covered when the pet remains both symptom- and treatment-free regarding the condition in question for at least one year. Other downsides include:
- Waiting period. Embrace Pet Insurance has a waiting period of 14 days for illness and two days for accidents.
- Changes in your policy. You can change your coverage at any time once you’re enrolled. But if you choose to upgrade your policy at a later date, you’re subject to the same rules as new insureds, meaning a new waiting period and possible exclusions for pre-existing conditions that weren’t considered pre-existing before the policy change.
Embrace Pet Insurance covers a wide range of circumstances, depending on the specific policy you choose and whether or not you add on the optional wellness program for routine care. The following is a summary of what is and isn’t covered with Embrace.
What Is Covered
- Alternative treatments
- Behavioral therapy
- Breed-specific conditions
- Cancer treatments
- Chronic or congenital conditions
- Diagnostic testing
- Emergency care
- Hospital care
- Mobility devices
- Rehabilitative treatment
- Specialist care
What is Covered in the Reward Program
- Exam fees
- Holistic care
- Spay and neuter surgery
What Isn’t Covered
- Cosmetic procedures
- DNA testing
- Preexisting conditions, including bilateral conditions
- Routine vet care (without the reward program)
How Much Does Embrace Pet Insurance Cost?
The cost of Embrace Pet Insurance varies depending on the deductible, reimbursement rate, and maximum annual limit you choose. Each option changes the cost of the policy. This allows you to customize your policy based on your budget. Choose from a low premium with a high deductible – if you’re comfortable with higher out-of-pocket costs for an unexpected large vet bill – or opt for a low deductible with a high reimbursement rate if you suspect lots of vet visits.
The cost for Embrace Pet Insurance ranges from roughly $9 to $60 per month, but the average is about $23 to $35. For example, accident and illness coverage for a 50-pound, 6-year-old male dog averages $37 per month. A low reimbursement with a high deductible costs roughly $15 per month. A high reimbursement with a low deductible is about $56 per month. Accident and illness coverage for a female dog that weighs 25 pounds and is 6 years old costs, on average, $32 per month. A low reimbursement with a high deductible costs roughly $13 per month, while a high reimbursement with a low deductible is about $49 per month.
The cost of accident and illness coverage for a male cat that is 5 years old averages $23 per month. A low reimbursement with a high deductible costs roughly $9 per month, while a high reimbursement with a low deductible is about $34 per month.
Discounts, Promotions, or Coupon Codes
Policies are available for both dogs and cats, and multiple pets will save you money in the end, thanks to the multi-pet discount. Embrace Pet Insurance also offers several other discounts to qualifying customers.
- Multi-pet discount. A 10 percent discount for two or more pets when you create multiple policies. The discount is automatically added.
- Military discount. A 5 percent discount for former members or those in active duty in the armed services, such as the Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines, Army, and Navy. Not available in FL, NY, or TN.
- Employee discount. Embrace Pet Insurance may be offered through your employer as a benefit. If you take advantage of that, you may receive a 10 percent discount (5 percent in TN). Likewise, veterinary practices that promote Embrace receive a discount. Not available in FL, HI, NY, ND, or RI.
- Refer a friend. A different type of promotion, Embrace encourages you to refer a friend to sign up for the pet insurance. For every completed referral, Embrace donates $25 to a pet charity in need. Not available in ME, NV, NC, ND, VT, or WA.
Reviews from customers can shed more light on Embrace Pet Insurance, and help you determine if it’s a good fit for you and your pet. The overall consensus for this insurance is positive. The following are samples of reviews from people who have their pets covered with Embrace Pet Insurance.
The majority of reviews are positive. Customers like the professional customer service, fast response, quality, and value.
“Excellent customer service! My cat had already two claims. Both claims were paid without issues. The second claim was paid super fast. I was reimbursed 2 days after I put my claim in.” – Heidi, Google, 7/1/2020
“We have three dogs who are all insured through [Embrace]. One of them tore her ACL requiring multiple vet visits and a very expensive surgery. Embrace was with us every step of the way with quick turn around times processing claims and very helpful and friendly service reps. We received reimbursement for her surgery within 7 days of submitting the claim.” – Brooke, Google, 7/3/2020
The majority of negative reviews are statements of unpaid claims and too many conditions being labeled as preexisting.
“First of all I would like to mention when all of the excuses started coming to me for not paying the claims I [canceled] this policy. In fact I [canceled] for all four of my dogs. This happened after my senior dog ended up with diabetes and lost his eyesight a few months ago. As you can imagine the vet bills have not been inexpensive. Every claim submitted is still unpaid. What a [waste] of money….my next step is better business and if insurance commissioner is an [oversight] for pet insurance that will be next. Please spare yourself the aggravation. This company is a poor excuse for a business!!!” – Gloria, Google, 5/7/2020
“I don’t recommend using this company. They are not transparent with their policy and engage in unethical practices by misleading customers. I purchased and paid in full for my policy 6 [months] ago, when my kitty had an accident and I had to use them, not only they didn’t get back to me after I submitted my policy but when I reached out to them to ask what is the status of it, because it has been 8 weeks and I haven’t heard back. They told me they will be not covering this claim because it turns out they “forgot” to send me additional documents that I needed to fill out back when I originally purchased the policy. This whole time I thought I have coverage and when it came down to using it they just denied it, even though I was never made aware of it and haven’t received anything.” – Olga, Google, 4/7/2020
The Final Verdict
Embrace Pet Insurance is a solid pet insurance for covering your pets for accidents and illnesses. Customers like the wellness program for routine care and the quick reimbursement turnaround. The diminishing deductible for pets who are accident- and illness-free for a period of time offers pet parents additional savings. However, Embrace Pet Insurance doesn’t cover preexisting conditions, a common complaint among consumers, and there’s also a waiting period before coverage begins. When purchasing pet insurance, it’s important to understand the policy, coverage, exclusions, and out-of-pocket costs before choosing a plan.
More Pet Reviews:
The Best, Fresh Pet Food Delivery Services
The Best Pet Insurance Plans
The Best GPS Dog Collars and Trackers
The Best Dog Seat Belts
The Best Dog Ramps
The Best Large Dog Crates
The Best Cat Litter Boxes
The Best Dog Gates
The Best Wireless Dog Fences
The Best Automatic Cat Feeders