When you’re a dog-lover, you’ll do just about anything for your canine friend to make his life easier. That’s especially true as a dog gets older. Are their joints hurting them? You try different supplements to see which works. Have they become picky eaters in their older age? You’ll come home with several bags of different kinds of food to let your pet sample them and see which one he likes. Are they having problems with getting up on your furniture or into your car? Are they too small or too old to safely get down once they’re up? Then the obvious answer is doggy stairs. But the next question is which set is right for your dog?
We reviewed dozens of dog stairs to identify the best of the best. We considered how much weight the stairs could hold, the material that they were made of, whether they were portable or foldable, Amazon reviews, cost, and whether they were meant to be used indoors or outdoors.
Our top pick was the Made in USA Foldable Pets Stairs. They were the clear winner because they met so many different criteria for great stairs. They’re soft, yet durable to withstand your dog’s weight and constant use. These stairs are also lightweight and foldable, easily moved to a corner out of the way if your pet isn’t using them. Prices on dog stairs ranged from low to very high, and these were a very reasonable cost for all they had to offer.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Stairs or Steps
|Best Dog Stairs Overall||Made in USA Pet Stairs||4.7|
|Best Portable Dog Stairs||Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stairs||4.5|
|Best Budget Dog Stairs||Zinus Step Comfort Pet Stairs||4.6|
|Best Wooden Dog Stairs||Furhaven Pet Stairs||4.5|
|Best Foam Dog Stairs||Made in USA Pet Steps||4.6|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Dog Stairs or Steps Overall: Made in USA Foldable Pet Stairs
The Made in USA Foldable Pets Stairs were the best stairs that we reviewed. There were so many things to love about these dog steps, first of which was the options that you have when purchasing them. As opposed to other steps that come in one or maybe two colors, these stairs come in eight different colors and patterns so you can choose which one goes best with your home’s decor. You can also choose between three steps or four steps, depending on the height that you need the stairs to reach.
The steps themselves are made of durable foam and are constructed well so that they withstand the weight of dogs going up and down multiple times a day. You don’t have to worry about the foam giving way or denting over time. The stairs are easy to fold up and tuck away for storage if you don’t want to have them out all the time. They’re also very lightweight, so you can carry them easily from room to room or even take them with you on trips if you want your dog to access to your furniture or bed when you’re traveling with him.
Finally, we loved that the cover on the stairs is removable and machine-washable. All dogs get dirty, and being able to quickly and easily clean the dog stairs is a definite bonus. These stairs work best with small- to medium-sized dogs and, as the name says, they’re made in the USA!
Made in USA Foldable Pet Stairs Key Features:
- Durable, high-quality foam
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Foldable for compact storage
- Machine-washable cover
Best Portable Dog Stairs or Steps: Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stairs
So many dog owners take their pets everywhere with them. If that’s you, you know that you need dog stairs that will travel well too. The Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stairs are a great fit for a dog that travels often. The unit itself weighs only seven pounds, which makes it easy to pick up and move around, yet it can still accommodate dogs up to 150 pounds.
There are other things to love about these dog stairs. The steps are deeper and shorter than other units we reviewed. This combination makes them much easier to climb for dogs who suffer from arthritis and other joint problems. It comes in four different colors so you can pick one that goes with your home. The carpet treads that are on each step are removable and washable so you can keep the product clean at all times.
The Pet Gear Easy Step II stairs are simple to assemble and don’t require any hardware. They also come with anti-skid pads on the bottom to ensure that the stairs aren’t going to slide out from under your dog, even if he makes a sudden move while on them. These steps check off a lot of boxes, so you should check them out for your dog.
Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stairs Key Features:
- Easy-to-clean carpet treads on stairs
- Lightweight for easy transporting anywhere
- Easy to assemble
Best Budget Dog Stairs or Steps: Zinus Step Comfort Pet Stairs
The Zinus Step Comfort Pet Stairs come in five different sizes ranging from extra small to extra large. Why is this important? It means that your dog will have the stairs that fits his body and size the best. No matter what size you get, this unit uses a high-density foam that can withstand wear and tear from your dog over the years.
When the cover gets dirty on these stairs, it’s easily removable and can be thrown in your washing machine for quick cleaning. We love that these stairs are so lightweight that you can take them from room to room without straining your muscles. This is really important if you have a dog that needs to use the stairs in multiple places in your home.
Protecting your pet’s joints and keeping them safe with dog stairs has never been so easy or affordable as it is with the Zinus Step Comfort Stairs. They come with a one-year worry-free warranty so you can make sure that they function well and are the right stairs for your dog. Overall, these steps give you a lot of bang for a lot less buck.
Zinus Step Comfort Pet Stairs Key Features:
- Lightweight so you can carry them anywhere
- Come in five different sizes so you get the right fit for your dog
- Easy to clean
Best Wooden Dog Stairs or Steps: Furhaven Pet Stairs
If you’re looking for a solid set of wooden stairs for your dog, check out the Furhaven Pet Stairs. They have a unique architectural look to them that adds a little fun and function to any space. They come in three different colors, including black, cream, and an on-trend gray.
These stairs aren’t just fun to look at though. They also provide the safety and stability that your dog needs when he is trying to climb onto your furniture. Unlike other stairs, the base on this set is wide and connects with every support pole that holds up the stairs. Every part of the stairs is covered in faux to give your dog a soft material to step on and keep the look of the stairs uniform and clean.
This unit comes in a three- or four-stair model so that you can choose the height that you need based on the height of your furniture. The three-stair model is 22 inches high and the four-stair model is 29 inches high. No matter which one you choose, these steps will give your dog a soft climb to protect his joints and make sure he can get on and off of your furniture safely each time.
Furhaven Pet Stairs Key Features:
- Covered in faux fur that comes in three colors
- Choose from a three- or four-stair model
- Sold structure with wide wooden base for extra safety
Best Foam Dog Stairs or Steps: Made in USA Pet Steps
When you’re looking for a great set of foam dog stairs, you’re often looking for a set that’s strong, durable, easy to clean, and lightweight. If that describes your wishlist, meet the Made in USA Pet Steps. It checks each of those items off of your list, but the features don’t stop there.
This set of stairs comes with three, four, or five steps. The five-stair model reaches a height of 22 inches, which is the average height of a bed. You don’t have to worry about stability with the added stair, though. It’s just as stable with five stairs as it is with three. The bottom of these stairs is wide at 15 inches, and it also has an anti-slip pad for extra stability. The foam is a durable, certified foam that will hold up over time while your dog goes up and down the stairs multiple times a day. They’re also lightweight and easy to move around if you want to have your pet use them in different rooms.
While your dog is enjoying the comfort of these steps, you can enjoy their look. The Made in USA Pet Steps come in sixteen different colors or patterns so you know you’ll find something that complements your home decor. Your choices range from animal print to conservative gray linen to bright red. All of the covers are machine washable for easy cleaning.
Made in USA Pet Steps Key Features:
- Great patterns and colors to choose from
- High-quality, durable foam
- Wide base with anti-slip pad for extra stability
Who Should Buy Dog Stairs or Steps
People who should buy dog stairs are pet owners interested in keeping their dogs safe. They are owners that want to give their dog access to all different places in their house or car, and these dedicated owners want to make sure their pets can safely get where they want to go. The right stairs can make a real difference in the quality of your dog’s life.
Owners of three different types of dogs may find dog stairs to be particularly useful for their pet. Dogs that are too small or too old to be able to get from the ground onto a couch or into a car safely without hurting themselves or without owner assistance should definitely have stairs to use. Stairs that are the right size can make that daunting height simple to conquer for the tiniest or frailest of canines.
Dogs with joint problems or breeds who are prone to developing joint problems should also have stairs. It’s possible that your dog can easily jump into your bed now, whether it’s the bed of your truck or the bed you sleep in at night. However, over time all that jumping can start to wear on a dog’s joints and can cause damage or injury. Stairs would help to protect those vulnerable points of his body.
If the stairs are a bit much or not exactly what you’re looking for, then you may want to check out The Best Dog Ramps.
Important Features to Consider
Dog stairs should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting dog stairs for your pet.
- Stay firmly in place. Stability is a huge factor in dog stairs or steps. Make sure you choose stairs that have anti-skid pads on the bottom of them so that you know the stairs will stay firmly in place while your dog is on them.
- Accommodate your dog’s weight. Different stairs are built for dogs of different weights, and you need to make sure you purchase stairs that can safely hold your dog. Be sure to check the weight limit of any stairs to make sure they’re safe for your dog.
- Fit your dog’s size. The stairs themselves can also be different heights and have different depths to the stairs. Dogs generally do better on stairs that are deeper and have a shorter distance between them. You’ll want to check the stair height and depth before you buy, especially if you have a very small dog.
- Cover the distance from the ground to where the dog wants to go. Since the goal is to get your dog safely from the ground onto your furniture or into your car, the dog stairs that you buy should accommodate that distance. Make sure you measure before you buy.
- Be light enough to move. While you may not mind keeping the stairs in one place most of the time, especially in your home, you should still consider the weight of the actual stairs. You’ll have to move occasionally to clean under them (or clean the stairs themselves) or to make room for extra guests if the stairs are in a main room of your house. Check the weight of the stairs themselves so you know you can move them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does my dog need stairs?
If your dog is young and is large enough to easily jump onto the furniture that she’s allowed to be on, you don’t need stairs right away. However, if your dog is too small to safely jump onto and off of furniture or if she’s having issues with her joints or arthritis or if she’s getting old and jumping up is too hard, then it’s time to buy her some steps. Stairs will keep her safe and allow her to stay near you even as it gets harder for her to move around.
Are stairs or a ramp better for dogs?
This depends completely on your dog. If your dog doesn’t have any arthritis or joint problems and if he’s not struggling to climb steps in and around your home, then he would be fine with either stairs or a ramp. On the other hand, if your dog is getting older or having problems walking, then a ramp would make the climb onto furniture or a bed or into a car much easier on his joints and muscles.
What size dog stairs do I need?
That depends on the size of your dog and the space where you want to put the stairs. First, weigh your dog. Different stairs are designed to hold different weights so you need to make sure that the steps you buy can hold your dog. Secondly, measure the height that you need the stairs to cover. Please your measuring tape on the floor and measure up to the spot on the furniture where you want the dog to be able to access. Then match that distance with a set of stairs built in that same measurement.
While you’re measuring height, don’t forget about width. Some stairs are wider than others. You’ll want to make sure that the width of the stairs fits the space that you have as well. If all measurements match, you’ve found the right size stairs for you.
How do I make stairs easier for my old dog?
Three things will make stairs easier for your elderly dog.
1. Depth of the stairs. Dogs have an easier time when they have more room on a stair. If your dog is older, choose a deeper step.
2. The stairs need to support your dog. Different stairs have different weight limits. Don’t underestimate your dog’s weight. Make sure the stairs can support the full weight of your dog.
3. Choose stairs with anti-skid padding. As pets get older, they can lose their stability. Therefore, the stairs need to be very stable. Anti-skid pads at the bottom of the stairs will keep them from moving and allow your dog to more easily maneuver them.
Other Dog Stairs and Steps We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog stairs and steps. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog stairs and steps list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Foam Dog Stairs and Steps
- Foldable Dog Stairs and Steps
- Portable Dog Stairs and Steps
- Wooden Dog Stairs and Steps
Foam Dog Stairs and Steps
These foam stairs come with either three or four steps and make climbing onto a couch or bed an easy task for even small dogs. Sometimes you have to sacrifice looks for function, but not with these stairs. There are almost 40 different fabrics to choose from, so you can choose something that complements your home.
- Soft and durable foam
- Machine washable slipcover
- Almost 40 fabrics to pick from
The microfiber cover on these stairs is easy to take off and easy to clean. It comes in three or four steps, and the foam insert is high density, designed to absorb the impact of your pet’s walking as they go up and down the stairs multiple times a day.
- Microfiber cover
- Non-slip back and bottom
- High-density foam
These foam pet stairs are comfortable for your pet to walk on, and you’ll love the microsuede cover that’s soft to touch and easy to clean. Just throw it in the washing machine. These stairs come in several colors and three sizes.
- Machine washable microsuede cover
- Multiple colors and sizes
- Durable construction
The foam in these stairs are strong and designed to stand up to the weight of heavier dogs, even over time. They are easy to assemble and come in five different sizes so you can choose what’s best for your dog.
- Five different sizes
- High-density foam
- Removable and washable cover
Foldable Dog Stairs and Steps
You’ll notice the rich wood tone of the stairs and the trendy gray carpet first. But dig deeper and you’ll see lots of other things to love: durability (can hold up to 100 pounds), no assembly required, and folds easily for storage or travel.
- Fabric prevents your pet from slipping
- No assembly required
- Built-in side rails give extra protection against your pet falling off the edges
When dog stairs are both lightweight and sturdy, you know you have a winner. It will be easy for you to pick up and move these stairs all over your house, giving your dog access to everything. These stairs can hold up to 110 pounds, and the unfinished wood is a nice complement to the gray carpeting
- Lightweight and durable
- Hold dogs up to 110 pounds
- Can convert to a ramp
These stairs have a very high weight capacity at 350 pounds, which guarantees that they can hold even the heaviest dog. The carpeted treads are washable will help to keep your dog from slipping on the steps.
- Large weight capacity
- Carpeted treads
- Folds into compact space for easy transporting in cars
The PetSafe Solvit stairs come in two different sizes to fit different-sized dogs. The feet are non-skid so it’s sturdy. The carpeted treads and the side rails make it comfortable and safe for your pet to use on a regular basis.
- Available in two different sizes
- Non-skid feet for safety
- Lightweight so easy to move around house
The simplicity of this product can make it easy to overlook in the midst of flashier stairs, but you should definitely consider it. The stairs quickly and easily fold up for effortless transport. They’re made of plastic so they’re durable and easy to clean.
- Super easy to fold and store
- Durable plastic construction
- Holds up to 300 pounds
Portable Dog Stairs and Steps
These stairs are deceptively durable. They may weigh in at just six pounds, but they accommodate dogs that weigh up to 150 pounds. The tote handle built into them ensures that they’re easily transported anywhere you go with your dog.
- Tote handle for easy carrying
- DuraCore technology designed to last a long time and accommodate heavier dogs
These stairs are adjustable, waterproof, foldable, lightweight, and can hold dogs that weigh up to 135 pounds. It also has non-slip pads on the bottom of the frame so you know it will stay securely where you need it to be.
- Folds tight for easy transport
- Waterproof so works well for outdoors or getting into cars
- Fun print on stairs
This set of four stairs will help your dog get in and out of your car with ease. The stairs are lightweight, which means you can easily fold them up and transport them wherever you take your dog, and the height of the stairs is adjustable so they’ll work just about anywhere.
- Durable metal frame
- Adjustable height to the stairs so they fit many different places
These stairs fold into a compact package and are secured by a handle that you can also use to carry them around. They’re waterproof and build to hold dogs up to 150 pounds.
- Non-slip pads on bottom of frame makes stairs secure
- Handle for easy toting
- Waterproof so you can use outside
This set of six stairs is unique as the height of the stairs is shorter than others we profiled. That shorter height between the stairs makes this set perfect for dogs who have a harder time accommodating typical stairs due to their size, joint problems, or old age.
- Durable metal frame
- Shortened stair height for easier climbing
- Built anti-slip pads and comes with a safety tether for extra security when fastening it to your car
Not only does this set of stairs come with non-slip pads, but the material of the actual steps is also made of waterproof, non-skid material. It also folds compactly for easy storage and transport, and it comes with a handle so it’s easy to carry from house to car and back again.
- Stairs are made of waterproof material
- Accommodates dogs up to 150 pounds
- Adjustable height
Wooden Dog Stairs and Steps
Made entirely from pine trees grown in the United States, these stairs are strong, secure, and free from those chemical smells you sometimes get from other products made of wood. They can accommodate dogs up to 250 pounds and come in five different colors.
- Multiple colors so you can choose one that goes with your decor
- Holds dogs that weigh up to 250 pounds
- Easy to assemble
When you don’t have high furniture, this set of three stairs is a great choice. It’s durable, easy to clean, and has carpet treads on each stair to give your pet security while climbing up or down.
- Clean design and easy to assemble (necessary hardware included)
- Carpet treads for safety and security
- Built for smaller heights
This set of wooden stairs comes in three different sizes, ensuring that you can purchase the right height to match your furniture. The steps fold up so you can easily carry it to different spots in your home.
- Folds down for easy storage or toting
- Comes in three different sizes
- Carpet cover on stairs gives extra security to pet
These carpeted stairs are soft on your dog’s feet, giving him extra comfort as he climbs up and down. A unique feature on this set is a hole that is built under the stop stair, giving your dog a place to sleep or play.
- Durable and yet light enough to carry around the house
- Carpeted stairs
- Hollow area under top step so your dog can play or sleep
These stairs are really beautifully constructed and are designed to fit into your home rather than stand out. The deep cherry stain of the wood and the carpet on the stairs are neutral and will go with any decor. The stairs are just about two feet wide and can accommodate even the largest dogs that weigh over 300 pounds.
- Beautiful colors
- Can hold a huge amount of weight (over to 300 pounds!)
- Smaller stair height for smaller dogs or dogs with joint trouble