Most dogs look forward to going on walks for exercise, socialization, outdoor time, and bonding with their humans. But walking with a dog that pulls or slips his collar easily can cause walks to not be as enjoyable for both the dog and owner. Using a harness in these situations can give you better control over your dog and make him feel more secure.
We reviewed dozens of dog harnesses to identify the best of the best. Some of the features we considered in our reviews were comfort, durability, reliability, ease of taking on and off, price, and customer feedback.
Our top pick is the Kurgo Dog Harness, which is a clear winner among dog owners. This harness has minimal material to make it comfortable for dogs who don’t love to wear things, yet its durable clasps and strategic design keeps it reliably in place with the perfect fit for most dogs. Two leash attachment spots even let you decide the best spot for the leash to offer the control you need.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Harnesses
|Best Dog Harness Overall||Kurgo Dog Harness||4.3|
|Best No Pull Dog Harness||Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness||4.4|
|Best Budget Dog Harness||Paccomfet Dog Harness||4.0|
|Best Large Dog Harness||WALKTOFINE Dog Harness||4.6|
|Best Small Dog Harness||Voyager Step-in Air Dog Harness||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Dog Harness Overall: Kurgo Dog Harness
The Kurgo Dog Harness comes with just about every feature you could want in a reliable and easy-to-use dog harness without a high price tag. Not only does this harness come in a variety of sizes suited for most dog breeds, but Kurgo understands that there’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to dogs. That’s why there are also five adjustment points so that you can make specific areas wider or narrower for a secure fit.
Unlike many harnesses that have a lot of material on the chest and back to pad the straps, Kurgo takes more of a minimalist approach with this one. You’ll find comfort padding on the chest area, but the rest of the harness uses only the straps, which could make it an excellent option for dogs that are finicky about what they wear.
You’ll choose what kind of control you need for walks with the two leash attachment points. The chest attachment offers extra control when your dog is in training and learning not to pull. Or, use the back clip if it’s more comfortable for your dog and he’s already mastered the art of walking alongside you. Either way, your dog stays secure in this adjustable harness.
Kurgo Dog Harness Key Features:
- Several size and color options
- Comes with a dog seatbelt attachment
- Includes a lifetime warranty
- Quick-release buckles
- Five adjustment points to better fit your pooch
Best No Pull Dog Harness: Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness
If you have a puller on your hands, the Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness can help both you and your dog enjoy walks again. This harness is designed to offer maximum security without sacrificing comfort with its padded chest and neck straps. There are also four adjustable areas to make sure you get a reliable fit for your dog. This harness goes over your dog’s head, but its two quick-release buckles and adjusting straps make it easier to dress and undress him.
If your dog isn’t typically a fan of wearables, he can probably still feel comfortable in this harness from Rabbitgoo. Its padded areas are made with breathable mesh nylon to keep your pup’s skin ventilated while preventing uncomfortable rubbing from the straps. The pads extend up to the neck area to ensure that even the toughest pullers don’t hurt their necks or choke themselves.
Thousands of positive customer reviews note that this harness played a significant role in their dogs’ leash-training. The additional benefit of the front leash clip can gently guide your dog toward walking more calmly on his leash.
Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness Key Features:
- Six color options
- Four adjustment points
- No-choke design
- Fits chests up to 39.6-inches
- Designed with reflective strips
Best Budget Dog Harness: Paccomfet Dog Harness
Sometimes, a basic, no-frills harness can get the job done while saving you money. The Paccomfet Dog Harness is a budget-friendly harness that offers breathable fabric and adjustable straps to keep your dog comfortable. You won’t find convenient extras like a chest leash clip or reflective strips, but if you’re strictly looking for a simple harness, this one does the job.
The Paccomfet harness comes in a variety of colors and sizes extra-small to medium. Be sure to measure your dog’s neck circumference to get his correct size because this harness doesn’t include an adjustable neck area. Your pup will feel cozy with the harness’ breathable material and padded chest, which also protects his neck if he pulls. The slightly stretchy material makes putting on and taking off this harness a simple process.
Some people who have purchased this harness agree that it fits a little small compared to its size chart, so it’s best to size up if your dog is in between sizes. However, many also note that the snug fit around the neck and chest area keep their dogs secure on walks.
Paccomfet Dog Harness Key Features:
- Can fit even the tiniest dogs
- Easy to put on and take off
- Metal D-ring for leash attachment
- Breathable mesh
- Durable release clips
Best Large Dog Harness: WALKTOFINE Dog Harness
From small to extra-large pups, the WALKTOFINE Dog Harness can be a helping hand in leash training and safety. WALKTOFINE makes its harness with durable Nylon Oxford material to keep it in place with strong tuggers. Even dogs who try to chew their harnesses are likely to find that this one isn’t an easy target.
Some harnesses have designs that lead to potential pinching of your dog’s skin from the buckles. This harness has buckles that never come into contact with your dog; instead, they’re protected by a layer of fabric to make sure your pup stays comfortable and pinch-free.
Because of its adjustability, the WALKTOFINE harness can be an excellent option for large dogs with big chests. Choose the size that best matches your dog’s measurements, and then you can further adjust the harness using the four adjustment point straps.
WALKTOFINE Dog Harness Key Features:
- Four size options for small to extra large dogs
- No-choke design
- Chest and back clip
- Reflective straps
- Breathable mesh fabric
Best Small Dog Harness: Voyager Step-in Air Dog Harness
It can be challenging to fit a small dog with a harness that they can’t slip out of. However, the Voyager Step-in Air Dog Harness has sizes as small as extra-extra-extra-small to fit chests as tiny as 9.5-inches in girth. It also comes in large and extra-large sizes, but if you have a toy breed, this one may be the best option for you.
This harness is a step-in design, which can make it easy for you to put it on your small pup. Just put his front feet through, attach the Velcro straps together, and buckle him up. There are two metal leash clips in the back that, when attached to the leash, stay together for extra safety to prevent escapes.
There is a rainbow of colors to choose from, so if matching your dog’s leash to his harness is your thing, then this is the one to choose. Several customers also love that the padded area extends to the dog’s back and under the armpits to give him all-over comfort and prevent irritation from rubbing.
Voyager Step-in Air Dog Harness Key Features:
- Fits chests as small as 9.5-inches
- Reflective sides
- All-over comfort and rub prevention design
- Several options have eye-catching contrasting colors
- Step-in design
Who Should Buy a Dog Harness
Dog harnesses offer two primary benefits: to prevent dogs from escaping on walks, which is common with collars, and to help dogs learn to walk without pulling. If your pooch is an escape artist or likes to tug on his leash, then a harness could come in handy for walks. Harnesses can also be helpful for leash training to gently remind your dog to slow down by offering resistance as he pulls.
Another benefit to dog harnesses is that they can make walks more comfortable for dogs. While collars can cause neck rubbing that leads to bald spots and irritation, a dog harness fits around your dog’s chest and less on his neck to prevent painful rubbing or choking.
If your cat and dog get along well enough to go on the same adventures, you may also be interested in The Best Cat Harnesses And Leashes.
Important Features to Consider
A dog harness should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog harness for your dog:
- Adjustability and size. The number one consideration for a dog harness is its size. Most harnesses come in several sizes to fit your dog properly, but it’s best if they also have adjustable straps so that you can get the perfect fit. The straps should adjust around the chest or belly and the neck to ensure that the harness stays snug around your dog.
- Style. Harnesses are usually made in a step-in style or an over-the-head style. Some dogs dislike harnesses that go over their heads or don’t sit still long enough to get one on easily. If that sounds like your pooch, a step-in harness is probably your best option.
- Reflective material. You may not walk your dog in the early morning or evening hours when it’s dark outside, but reflective strips attached to a dog harness can still come in handy. They’re usually sewn onto the sides, top, or chest area of the harness to make your pup more visible to cars passing by. Although not a necessary feature, it could be an important one for you to consider for added safety.
- Leash clips. Dog harnesses typically come with one leash clip attached to the part of the harness that covers your dog’s back. Some harnesses offer an additional chest clip that can keep dogs from pulling hard on their leash as they walk. The type you choose depends mostly on your dog’s walking ability and temperament. The chest leash clip can also come in handy for dogs who are currently undergoing training sessions for leash walking.
- Durable buckles. You don’t want to leave it up to chance for your dog to escape from his harness due to faulty buckles. Instead, choose a harness with strong, durable, and reliable buckles. You’ll usually see them noted as “reinforced plastic” or something similar, although some harnesses go one step further in security with metal hardware.
- Washable fabric. Your dog is inevitably going to get damp or dirty when walking outside. Having a harness that you can toss in the washer – or at least hand wash – can come in handy when you need to remove dirt or odor. Harnesses made with washable fabric or those that are waterproof and easy to wipe up can work best for dogs that like to get messy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog harness and how does it work?
A dog harness fits securely around your dog’s chest and neck and takes the place of a typical color you’d use for walking. Although not all harnesses are labeled as “no-pull” harnesses, they are intended to keep a dog from pulling and give you more control as you walk. They also release the tension around the neck that collars often cause as a dog pulls.
Many harnesses have a leash clip in the back. When your dog pulls, the action causes the harness to put some resistance on your dog’s chest as a gentle reminder to slow down. Some harnesses have a chest clip for the leash that offers more resistance for strong pullers.
Are harnesses better for dogs?
Harnesses may be better for some dogs than others, but this depends on your dog’s current walking style and temperament. Some dog trainers prefer to use a harness to leash train dogs, at least until they become able to put some of their training into practice. You also might simply feel that your dog is more secure in a harness than a collar because they offer more protection from slipping out.
Can a dog wear a harness all day?
Although a dog technically can wear a harness all day, it’s not in his best interest. Dog harnesses, with all-day-wear, aren’t very comfortable for your dog. They can also cause skin irritation and matted fur underneath the harness. Dogs who like to chew on things might also find their harness to be the perfect chew toy when left unsupervised.
Does a harness stop a dog from pulling?
Harnesses are designed to discourage pulling, but there’s no guarantee that it will prevent pulling altogether. Strong-willed dogs may try to pull harder if they feel that they’re restrained. If your dog still pulls with his harness on, then he may benefit from additional leash training.
Other Dog Harnesses We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog harnesses. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog harness list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your pooch. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Small Dog Harnesses
Your small dog will be the sharpest pup on the block with this matching harness and leash set, which has a padded design to keep him comfortable on walks.
- Step-in design
- Includes matching leash and pouch
- Fuzzy lining for added comfort
This lightweight harness is best for small dogs who aren’t drastic pullers. The stitched design keeps the harness from rubbing against your dog’s skin.
- Several color options
- Breathable material
- Two adjustment points
This harness is small but mighty and can be an excellent option for small dogs who are still undergoing leash training or those who slip collars easily.
- Four durable buckles keep your dog safely inside the harness
- Chest and back clips
- Two-tone color options
This harness can fit dogs with chest girths as small as 10 inches. The locking clips are an added bonus to keep your pup secure.
- Four adjustable points
- Easy-grab handle
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Your dog can be safe and styling in this plaid vest harness, which comes in five color options to suit your pup’s personality.
- Adorable bow-tie design
- Large chest area for security and comfort
- Fits chests as small as 9-inches
Large Dog Harnesses
This durable harness has wide shoulder and chest straps to keep your dog safely inside, while breathable fabric ensures that he stays comfortable.
- Reflective straps
- Two large leash clips
- Includes a pocket for an ID tag
If you walk your large dog during early morning or late evening hours, the large side and back reflective strip on this harness can keep him highly visible to vehicles.
- Rubber control handle on back
- Durable nylon
- Welded D-ring leash clip
You can purchase this harness in large or extra-large sizes, which is perfect for labs, hounds, Great Danes, and other large breeds.
- Fits chests up to 46-inches
- Strong buckles and leash clips
- Reflective straps on back and sides
Large dogs that also pull are some of the most challenging to walk with. However, this harness comes with a durable handle attached to the back for extra control.
- Padded back and chest areas
- Fits chests up to 42-inches
- Adjustable neck and belly areas
The wide shoulder and chest area on this harness lined with breathable fabric can give your large pooch just the right fit without feeling hot and uncomfortable.
- Includes leash and collar
- No-choke design
- Reflective strips on chest
No-Pull Dog Harnesses
Wide straps help distribute the resistance your pulling dog gets when he walks in this harness to gently remind him to slow down.
- Back handle offers extra control
- Lightweight material
- Several reflective strips
This vest comes in a wide range of sizes to fit your dog perfectly. You can also choose between a step-in and over-the-head design.
- Unique color options
- Front chest clip for heavy pullers
- Eco-friendly plastic buckles
The unique design of this harness from Bolux wraps around the front of your dog’s chest to offer gentle guidance when he pulls.
- Wide range of colors and sizes
- Includes a spot for a flashlight
- Pressure-distributing design
This extra-strong harness has durability written all over it, from its metal adjustment points to its reinforced nylon handle.
- Reinforced straps for durability
- Reflecting strip on chest
- Metal buckle and leash clip
This harness focuses on comfort for pullers with a padded chest area and cushioned under-arm straps to prevent uncomfortable rubbing.
- Leash attachments on chest and back
- Reflective stitching
Leather Dog Harnesses
This stylish harness includes all-metal gold hardware for durability and an extra bit of classic luxury.
- Includes matching leash
- Fits small dogs with chests up to 18.5 inches
- Leash clips in back and on chest
If your dog is the type that loves some bling, this leather harness set is a great catch. The sparkling rhinestones are not only attractive, but they can also make your dog more visible during walks.
- Matching leash set
- Small and lightweight
- Satisfaction guaranteed
This gorgeous harness is sure to make your furry friend stand out at the dog park with its unique decorations and style.
- Padded chest area
- Four adjustable points
The wide genuine leather straps on this harness from Dogs My Love distribute pressure evenly, making it a good option for pullers.
- Three adjustable straps
- Metal buckles
- Durable design
The wide chest area of this leather harness can make walks more comfortable for your canine friend as it prevents chaffing.
- Snapping buckles for easy removal
- Two sizes with adjustable straps
- No-pull construction