You love your dog. However, that doesn’t mean he’s welcome everywhere in your home. For his safety, and your sanity, sometimes you need a dog gate to keep him out of certain areas. Maybe the baby is taking a nap or there’s a couch he can’t help but chew. Whatever the reason, a dog gate can make life more pleasant for both of you.
We reviewed dozens of dog gates to find the best of the best. We looked at their materials, attachment features, and adjustability. Dogs and homes aren’t all the same size, so we had to consider height and width as well. Once the gate is up, your dog isn’t the only one will have a hard time moving around the house. We also considered how easy the gate is for humans to use. Keep reading to see the gates that stand out. We’ve also provided a short shopping guide to help you narrow down your options.
The Summer Infant Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate is a metal, pressure-mounted gate that stands 36-inches tall and comes in several widths to fit most standard doorways and entrances. Easy is the keyword to describe both the installation and use of this model. The walk-through gate glides open without a hitch. There’s even extra hardware included if you need sturdier mounting.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Gates
|Best Dog Gate Overall||Summer Infat Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate||4.4|
|Best Dog Gate with Door||Regalo Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate ||4.4|
|Best Budget Dog Gate||Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate||4.2|
|Best Wooden Dog Gate||Richell Wood Freestanding Pet Gate||4.4|
|Best Retractable Dog Gate||Evenflo Room Divider Gate||4.6|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Dog Gate Overall: Summer Infant Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
The Summer Infant Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate makes containing your dog fairly simple. It fits openings anywhere from 28.5 to 48-inches wide, which fits most common doorways. It comes with a few extra safety features, such as a removable doorstop. The doorstop prevents the gate from opening towards the stairs, saving you from a potentially dangerous fall. This pressure-mounted gate also includes extra hardware to lock it in place. This particular feature is designed for use on staircases, but it comes in handy for dogs, especially larger breeds.
If you’re looking for a model with some options, this gate comes in five sizes, extending up to 53 inches. We love the auto-close on the gate. If you’ve got your hands full, it can be tough to shut the gate behind you. Dogs have a way of pushing their way into where they don’t belong. A gate that automatically closes will prevent your dog from sneaking in while you’re not looking.
Summer Infant Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate Key Features:
- Pressure mount
- Includes hardware for wall mounting
- One-handed walk through
- Auto close
- 36-inches high and 28.5 to 53-inches wide
Best Dog Gate with Door: Regalo Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate
If you’ve got a wide space you need to gate off, then the Regalo Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate might be the right one for you. It spans an impressive 192 inches. Open floor plans and large great rooms can easily be gated off with this model. It’s not just wide spaces it can protect. Each panel can be angled to follow the curves and corners of your home. It’s wall-mounted, so once you decide where you want to keep it, it stays put until you’re ready to take it down.
Standing 29 inches tall, it’s best for medium and small breeds. However, it doesn’t lack durability. It’s all steel and includes a walk-through gate. The safety lock is meant for small children, but it makes it for your harder for your dog to push his way through too.
You don’t always want your house divided in two. We like that the panels can be folded down for flat storage. That way when it’s time for a party, it’s easy to take down and reassemble later.
Regalo Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate Key Features:
- 28-inches high and 192-inches wide
- Includes walk through gate
- Four (4) wall mounts included
- Folds down for flat storage
Best Budget Dog Gate: Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate
The Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate comes at an affordable price but doesn’t skip out on any of the important features. While the name says extra wide, it only spans 36.5 inches and comes with a 4-inch extension kit. That allows it to fit most standard doorways. This pressure-mounted gate can quickly be mounted or taken down.
There’s a walk-through gate, but at the bottom of the gate is a small 8 x 8-inch pet door. It’s the perfect size for small dogs and cats. It’s also a great solution for homes with multiple pets, where maybe one of the more enthusiastic pets has to stay out while the smaller pet gets to come in. All finishes are non-toxic, so if you’ve got a chewer, he will be completely safe. Finally, a safety lock makes sure that the gate doesn’t open accidentally.
Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate Key Features:
- Fits doors 29 – 36.5 inches and stands 30.5-inches high
- Comes with four-inch extension kit
- Walk through door
- 8 x 8-inch pet door
- Pressure mounted
- Safety lock
Best Wooden Dog Gate: Richell Wood Freestanding Pet Gate
The Richell Wood Freestanding Pet Gate acts as an attractive barrier for your pet. This freestanding model doesn’t need a doorway to stay upright. However, you can adjust it to fit a space that’s 39.9 to 71.3-inches wide. With 1.25 inches of space between the metal slats, your dog won’t get his head or any other part of him stuck. However, the low 20.1-inch height limits its use to small breeds or at least dogs that won’t jump over it.
There’s no opening with this gate, so you’ll have to either move it aside or step over the top. It really comes down to the aesthetics with this model. It comes in autumn matte or white, giving you some options to match the finishes in your home. This model is another great option for open floor plans or large great rooms. Many people buy more than one to create a seamless gating system throughout the entire home.
Richell Wood Freestanding Pet Gate Key Features:
- Freestanding design
- Stands 20.1-inches high and reaches between 39.9 to 71.3-inches
- Two (2) colors: autumn matte and white
- Adjustable width
Best Retractable Dog Gate: Evenflo Room Divider Gate
The Evenflo Room Divider Gate expands to fit spaces up to 60 inches wide. That’s wide enough for some great rooms and definitely wide enough for doorways and stairs. This simple design doesn’t have a door. Instead, it retracts at the opening so you can pass through. We like that it mounts to the wall for a secure fit. If you’ve got little ones at home, a telescoping safety rail keeps fingers (or dog noses) from getting pinches.
A one-hand latch opening gives you some freedom as you move in and out. It’s especially helpful if your dog tries to sneak in behind you. You’ve still got one hand to keep him out while you close the gate.
Evenflo Room Divider Gate Key Features:
- Fits spaces 24 to 60-inches and stands 29 to 32-inches
- One-handed opening
- Wall mount, includes hardware
- Telescoping safety rail
Who Should Buy a Dog Gate
If you’re a dog owner with an inside dog, chances are you need a dog gate. Sometimes it’s a matter of protecting your dog from wiring, plants, or the people food he can’t resist. Other times, it’s for the safety of your family members. A new baby or a toddler may be afraid of a large dog, or your dog may not get along with young children. Sometimes it’s just a matter of having too many people and pets in the same space. Dog gates let you define the spaces in your home for the protection of everyone.
It could also be to protect your home from the rigors of a dog. Whether you’re blocking off your bedroom or a formal dining room, sometimes you need somewhere that’s people only. When it comes down to it, you’ll both be happier when the boundaries are clear. And, your dog can’t miss the message sent by a locked gate.
If you’re looking for more of a play pen than a gate, check out The Best Dog And Puppy Playpens.
Important Features to Consider
A dog gate needs to do a few things well. Here’s what to consider before you buy:
- Height and width. You probably already know where you’d like to use the gate. Measure carefully before buying. If you’d like a portable model that can be used in several different areas, be sure to measure each one. Gates reach anywhere from 28 to 192 inches wide. That’s a pretty big range. Most of the wide gates have several panels that can be added or removed to get the right fit. Height comes into play as well. Tall gates may be over 40-inches high while others may be only 20. You’ll have to gauge the right height based on your dog’s size, motivation, and jumping ability.
- Walk through door. A walk through door allows the gate to stay in place but gives you the ability to enter and exit at will. The other option is a gate that retracts or opens fully. If your dog tries to push his way through, a walk-through door can help you keep him out.
- Ease of use. One-handed latch openings let you hold food, a child, or your dog while you pass through the gate. Models with walk through doors tend to be easier to open and close than retractable or swinging gates.
- Materials. Plastic, wood, and metal are your three options. If you’re looking for something portable, lightweight plastic is usually the way to go. However, when it comes to durability, wood and metal always win out. You also need to consider if your dog is a chewer. Metal will hold up better than plastic or wood in that case, just make sure it has a non-toxic finish.
- Mounting. The three mounting types are pressure-mounted, wall-mounted, and freestanding. A pressure-mounted gate is easier to install and remove when you don’t need to use it. However, your dog could potentially knock it down. Wall-mounted gates are the most sturdy, though you will have to attach the mounts to your wall and permanently change your home. Freestanding models work as long as your dog doesn’t push on it, though he’d have to be pretty motivated and persistent to move one. They usually have a heavy, wide base and are fairly easy to move around your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog gate?
A dog gate fits in doorways and other openings to prevent your dog from either entering or exiting. They come in a wide range of widths and heights to work for all kinds of doorways and rooms. Some are long enough to divide an open floor plan, while others are only wide enough to fit a standard 30-inch doorway.
Can you use a baby gate for a dog gate?
You can use a baby gate for a dog gate. Baby gates are made with non-toxic materials, so even if your dog chews on it, he’ll be safe. You might run into trouble with large dogs or heavy chewers. Large dogs may be strong enough to topple a baby gate. And, while baby gates are made to withstand a baby chewing, they may not hold up to your dog’s canines. If your dog is large or a chewer, you should probably opt for a dog-specific gate.
How tall should dog gate be?
The gate should be tall enough that your dog cannot easily jump over it. Now, if you’ve got a border collie, we’re not sure there’s a gate that will be able to contain him if he’s really determined. But, as long as your dog can’t pull himself over in a single bound, the gate is probably tall enough. What’s tall enough for a chihuahua will be different than what’s tall enough for a Great Dane. There are gates made especially for small dogs with low 18-inch heights and those made for the largest of breeds with 44-inch heights, so you’ve got options.
How do I get my puppy to stop jumping on the gate?
You can train your puppy to stay on the correct side of the gate, but it might take some work. Start with a little positive reinforcement. After you’ve put up the gate, let your puppy explore and sniff. If you looks like he’s about to jump, call him back to you and give him a treat. Repeat this process until he learns that good things happen when he stays on the right side of the gate.
You have some other deterrent options if it takes a while to train your puppy. There are deterrent mats with a rough texture and an irritating sound that goes off when your puppy touches it. As much as you can, make jumping the gate an unpleasant experience. The more unpleasant it is, the less likely your puppy will be to repeat the behavior.
Other Products We Reviewed
We reviewed 20 other dog gates. While these models didn’t make our 5 best dog gates, they’re some of the best the market has to offer. You may find that one of them fits your specific needs better than the ones in our top 5 list.
Dog Gates with Door
A tough metal frame and a touch of design keep your dog contained in sophisticated style.
- 10-inch x 7-inch pet dor
- 30-inches tall and 30 to 32-inches wide, extension sold separately
- Includes cherry wood accents
Designed for the smallest of breeds, this low gate is easy to install and step over.
- 18-inches high and 26 to 38-inches wide
- 10-inch x 7-inch dog door
- Tough steel frame and bars
A one-handed latch makes this gate easy to use, while the pressure-mounted design goes up in minutes.
- Sturdy steel design
- 30.5-inches high and 37.8 to 43.3-inches high
- Easy, pressure mounted installation
This gate takes style to a new level. It looks amazing and keeps your pup safe and secure.
- 30-inches tall and 29 to 43-inches wide
- One-handed opening
- Auto-close hinge
If you’ve got a tall breed, this gate will work for you. It extends to 36 inches, so it will fit in most standard doorways.
- 41-inches tall, and 29 to 36-inches wide
- Includes four-inch extension
- Sturdy steel design
If you’re looking for a touch of style and a sturdy frame, this is the gate for you.
- SecureTech pressure mounting system
- 36-inches high and 29 to 47-inches wide
- Two-action release handle
Mesh and Retractable Dog Gates
This basic pressure-mounted model keeps dogs out and spans up to 60 inches.
- Protective rubber bumpers
- Pre-assembled upon arrival
- 27-inches tall and 60-inches wide
Extra height makes this a great, portable gate for larger dogs.
- 44-inches tall and 29 to 50-inches wide
- Locking bar
This traditional design keeps pets out (or in) and fits spaces up to 50-inches wide.
- 32-inches tall and 29.5 to 50-inches wide
- Highly portable
- Includes rubber bumpers to protect walls
This burlap barrier is designed specifically for the stairs. It comes in 15 colors and patterns.
- Two (2) width options
- Fifteen (15) colored or patterned burlap
- Retracts when not in use
You can easily move this lightweight gate throughout your house. It’s quick to install and keeps small to medium dogs contained.
- 23-inches high and 26 to 40-inches wide
- Easy-grip handle
- Protective rubber bumpers
A one-handed latch design makes this mesh gate easy to use. It comes in four color options to fit with the finishes of your home.
- 33-inches tall by 71-inches wide
- Includes pull handle
This mesh gate doesn’t require permanent hardware to stay secure.
- Includes six (6) sticky hooks
- Lightweight and highly portable
- 28-inches tall by 43-inches wide
Wooden Dog Gates
This gate comes in a three or four-panel configuration and two height options. The wooden, freestanding style looks classy and can be used anywhere in your home.
- Three-panel model dimensions: 24-inches high by 60-inches wide
- Folds down for compact storage
- Espresso finish
You can use this gate as a fence, to create a pen, or as a room divider. It’s not particularly tall, but it looks nice and can withstand a playful puppy.
- Folds down for easy storage
- Expands to 74 inches and stands 24-inches tall
- Two (2) colors: espresso and white
If you want a gate that’s easy to store and will blend with your home’s decor, this one’s for you. The accordion-style allows it to stand where ever you need it, and it comes in four finishes.
- 24 inches high and 54 inches wide
- Three (3) sizes
- Four (4) finishes: espresso, brown, white, gray,
An attractive freestanding, wooden design gives this gate a sophisticated look. However, it also has a walk through door, so it’s easy for you to use.
- Walk through door
- All hinges rotate 360 degrees
- Rubber pads on panel feet
This gate keeps your dog contained with class. An extra-wide design stretches to 80 inches, allowing you to divide or block spaces in an open floor plan.
- 31-inches tall and 80-inches wide
- Foldable design for compact storage
- Accordion-style can be set up almost anywhere
An antique oak or white finish gives this wooden gate a homey feel, all while keeping your dog safe.
- Includes template to install wall-mount hardware
- One-handed opening
- 32-inches tall by 30 to 48-inches wide
With two height and width options, you’ll be able to divide a room or keep your dog off of the stairs.
- Protective rubber pads on the stands and panels
- Two (2) heights and widths: 24 or 36-inches high by 60 or 80-inches wide
- Folds down for compact storage