When your cat loves to watch the coming and goings outside, there’s a lot to be said for letting him experience it – without the risks of letting him out. If he runs off, he could get hurt or lost and you may never see him again. Curiosity may be what killed the cat, but giving him a perch to observe the outside world from the safety of your home may be plenty to satisfy his curiosity.If you don’t know exactly what you’re looking for, but know you want a way to offer your cat a view of the outside, don’t stress – we’ve done the homework for you.
We reviewed dozens of cat window perches to identify the best of the best. We looked for permanent installations and portable ones that will let you test which window your cat prefers.We found the cat perches that will secure to your window with suctions, those that will secure to the window sill with Velcro and those that are free-standing. No matter what you want in your cat’s new window perch, we have the right one for you.
For those who are just trying to make their home a more hospitable one for a new cat, you may want to consider planning more by reading Going Pet-Friendly: 5 Beginner’s Tips To Create A Pet-Friendly Apartment For Your Furry Friend.
Early in our research we identified Kitty Cot Original World’s Best Cat Perch as, easily, the best overall cat window perch. With plenty of size and durability options, you’ll definitely be able to find the right fit for your cat and your home.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Window Perches
|Best Cat Window Perch Overall||Kitty Cot Original World's Best Cat Perch||4.5|
|Best Heated Cat Window Perch||K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill Cat Window Hammock Perch||4.5|
|Best Budget Cat Window Perch||NOYAL Cat Resting Seat Perch Window Hammock||4.2|
|Best Cat Window Shelf||Scurrty Cat Shelf Curved Wall Mounted Cat Perch||4.4|
|Best Pod Cat Window Perch||K&H Pet Products EZ Mount Window Bed Kitty Sill||4.3|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Cat Window Perch Overall: Kitty Cot Original World’s Best Cat Perch
Sometimes, the original is still the best, and that’s certainly the case with cat window perches. The Kitty Cot Original World’s Best Cat Perch has giant US patented suction cups so your cat won’t feel, for even a moment, that he’s going to fall off this perch. It’s even reinforced with 1/8 inch steel support cables, so you feel the same kind of comfort, too.
There’s also a “Shades/Blinds” option on this product listing that will allow you to flip the perch flat and close the blinds or curtains without needing to un-install the perch. For a more robust version (for your more aggressive cat), you may want to try the deluxe version which is waterproof and made with a TigerMesh” that’s a stain-resistant rugged nylon.
There are over 1,500 customer reviews on Amazon that have earned this cat window perch an overall rating of 4.5 stars – and we think that’s more than enough to tempt you.
Kitty Cot Original World’s Best Cat Perch Key Features:
- 3 sizes available
- Deluxe steel frame or Standard PVC plastic fittings
- Easy-clean – soap and water
Best Heated Cat Window Perch: K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill Cat Window Hammock Perch
The K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill Cat Window Hammock Perch is perfect for your cat or cats who have a combined weight of less than 40 pounds. You won’t need any additional tools to install this perch; in fact, you won’t need anything but a two inch window sill. You’ll simple click the legs into place, clean the sill, secure the Velcro onto the sill and you’re ready to go! Note, you will want to give the adhesive 24-hours to set, otherwise the strength of the bond may not hold your cat.
The cushion features faux lamb-skin and is removable and machine washable. It also covers a removable low wattage (four watts), heater that provides just enough additional warmth to negate any chill from the window and to make it extra appealing to your cat. You can use the bed without the heater completely, though, so if you’d rather avoid the bother, that’s entirely up to you.
Over 650 customer reviews on Amazon have awarded this cat window perch an overall rating of 4.5 stars, and that’s plenty to suggest you’d be equally as satisfied, should you make this purchase.
K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill Cat Window Hammock Perch Key Features:
- Removable heater
- 40 lb max capacity
- 1-year warranty
Best Budget Cat Window Perch: NOYAL Cat Resting Seat Perch Window Hammock
The NOYAL Cat Resting Seat Perch Window Hammock will allow your cat or cats to nestle into the hammock style that lets your cat feel as if the perch is holding him. – This makes it an especially appealing place for your cat to rest while watching the coming and goings of the outside world while you’re gone, especially if he’s a lap cat who prefers to be snuggled while you’re home.
You’ll get two extra suction cups with your purchase, so if your cat destroys the first top pair (and he won’t do it again after he falls because of it), then you already have another set ready to go.
The numbers don’t lie, and you’re really going to like the numbers on this perch. Over 600 customer reviews have given this an overall rating of 4.2 stars. – Not bad, but the real selling point is the price point: You can get this cat window perch for well under $20!
NOYAL Cat Resting Seat Perch Window Hammock Key Features:
- 21.25″L x 12.6″W
- 3.3″ industrial strength suction cups
- 30 lb max capacity
Best Cat Window Shelf: Scurrty Cat Shelf Curved Wall Mounted Cat Perch
The Scurrty Cat Shelf Curved Wall Mounted Cat Perch mounts onto your wall with a simple two screw installation, and with just those two screws, your cat will be able to climb up and bask in the sunlight from his favorite window. It’s made with a high quality MDF board and bonded tightly to make sure it won’t warp over time.
There are two mats included with purchase of this cat shelf perch and each is secured onto the shelf with a sturdy Velcro, keeping them in place when your cat climbs, but allows you to remove them for cleaning or replacing when the mood strikes. The mats each are ideal for a type of climate; one is plush for hotter temperatures and the other is breathable fabric for colder weather.
With all these feature, combined with the overall rating on Amazon, a solid 4.4 stars, we think there’s plenty to indicate you’ll be just as satisfied with this purchase as your cat would be.
Scurrty Cat Shelf Curved Wall Mounted Cat Perch Key Features:
- Both mats machine washable
- Matching cat bed available
- 30 lb max capacity
Best Pod Cat Window Perch: K&H Pet Products EZ Mount Window Bed Kitty Sill
For a cat that prefers the additional security offered by a bod-style of bed, you may think a window perch may not be for him. However, the K&H Pet Products EZ Mount Window Bed Kitty Sill is here to assuage your (and your cat’s) fears. This cat window perch will create a pod of sorts for your cat to lie in, cradled and safe. It’s likely as close as you can get to swaddling your cat while he’s sunbathing.
This cat perch installs onto your window in just seconds with strong and reliable suctions and the internal pad will absorb and hold onto your cat’s body heat, acting as an insulator to keep him warm, no matter how much cold air comes through the window. This makes it an excellent product for an outside/inside cat who just can’t hang outside when the temperatures drop in the summer.
More than 1100 customers have felt strongly enough about this product to come back to Amazon and leave a review – and when you discover the overall rating is 4 stars, that means any concerns you had about whether you’d be satisfied by this perch are for naught.
K&H Pet Products EZ Mount Window Bed Kitty Sill Key Features:
- Kitty pad: acts as insulator
- 1-year warranty
- 60 lb max weight capacity
Who Should Buy a Cat Window Perch
If you have an indoor cat, there’s a good chance he looks at the outside as a oddity that remains a large source of his life’s wonder. Putting a perch on the window will be the cat equivalent to you watching your favorite television program and giving your cat that kind of entertainment may be a huge step in improving his happiness in your home. He may never even want to go outside, but for the cat who has even the smallest amount of curiosity (and that’s most), a window perch will give him a level of satisfaction he may not have even known he was missing.
Even if your cat is an indoor and outdoor cat, the weather isn’t always conducive to outside play and if you’re worried about the animal life that your cat has been hunting, keeping him in more often may help a bit. You can also protect him if you know there’s predators in the area, by keeping him inside at nights. For example, if your neighbors have had problems with coyotes, foxes, bears, or other wildlife that may be keen to make your cat a snack, it may be best to keep him in all night. With that being the case, the change and feeling of being cooped up may lessen with the addition of a window perch that lets him watch what’s happening without risking life and limb.
Important Features to Consider
A cat window perch should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a window perch for your cat:
- Suction. If you’re picturing the suction cups you lick and stick – and fall off 30 seconds later – you haven’t been keeping up with suction cup advancements! It may not be an exciting advancement, but it’s still one that you’ll want to keep in mind before you discard the idea entirely.The suctions that are used for your cat’s window perch will be the heavy duty kind to kitty is safe on his perch. They will twist or click once suctioned to make sure the suction doesn’t weaken over time. In fact, it will very likely be months or years before you even have to touch the cat mount.
- Bottom “mounted” perches. The typical suction perch will hang the platform down from a rope that will secure from the upper suction to the outer edge of the platform. This makes it secure, but it also gives an obstacle your kitty may not like. In fact, though he loves to watch out a window, the barriers may prevent him from jumping onto the perch and fully enjoying it. Even if you put him up there on his own, the ropes may make him feel uncomfortable enough that he doesn’t use the perch at all.
- Velcro or tray. If your window has a ledge that your cat sits on with tight rope walking finesse, you may be able to take some of the pressure off him by extending the surface area with which he can use to peek outside. A tray that you attach very temporarily with Velcro may not be the kind of perch you should choose for the bigger cats, but for the standard house cat, this will probably be plenty secure enough. While you will still need to install a sticky sided Velcro directly to the window sill, you won’t have to drill into walls, making this option still an acceptable one for a temporary home.
- Free standing towers. You can use the opportunity presented by a cat perch to get your cat a means to file his own nails, as well. A climbing perch with scratching posts, measured to the height of your window will require no installation (though you will have to assemble most), and it won’t leave any holes in the walls or sticky residue of the Velcro. This means it may be your best bet for a rental home. This type isn’t known for a compact size, though so you may want to keep in mind when you’re picking the best perch for your cat and your home.
- Shelves. These will be the most permanent install so if your cat is a healthy and young cat with many years ahead of him, this could be the perch of his dreams. You can drill shelves that have “perch perks” – like a padded or scratching surface, to maximize the potential and make it all the more functional and appealing to your cat. And if your cat refuses to plop on an unstable surface, this wall-mounted option may be the best one for your furry friend.
- Directly on the window. Keep in mind on any window perch purchase you make that most windows open. You won’t want to lose functionality by installing a permanent fixture to your window, and if you install it somewhere that prevents you from doing so easily, it may as well be sealed shut.Directly on the window will usually mean suction and temporary, so it shouldn’t pose a threat to your window’s continued use, but make sure you’re placing it appropriately.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do cat window perches work?
The cat window perch is a pretty basic idea that manifests in a few different variants. Anything that will hoist your cat to the window in your home (or car, for that matter) so they may see the outside world is a cat window perch. Traditionally, you may think of the climbing cat trees that you’ll size to fit a flat perch at the glass of the window to optimize your cat’s view, but there are a few other options, too. You can suction a shelf directly to the window itself, and that’s increased in popularity as the suction stability has improved. This will allow your cat to bask in the sunshine flowing through the window and get as close to the window as possible (without knocking anything down trying to climb up on the ledge). These same type of platforms can be temporarily mounted by Velcro to the ledge to extend it and provide more space for our fur baby to lie. There are also shelves that will install permanently to the wall just under the ledge so that your cat will have maximum stability.
Why do cats look out the window?
There are a number of psychological reasons that the outdoors poses an interest for your inside cat, but for the most part, you can boil it down to one: Cats get bored. There’s only so long anything can be within the same four walls and remain stimulated without some kind of change. While you can’t keep introducing new toys and furniture, nor can you play with your cat nonstop, you can probably offer a view to a whole world of excitement. Not only will the outside change, your cat’s curiosity will be piqued enough to give them something in the safety of their home that will continuously stimulate their minds. The window, for a cat, is like a television. Even for cats who live in both the outside and inside, looking outside will allow him to get a cat nap while sun bathing, still in the comfort of home. (And all the better if his cat window perch has a soft bed for him, too.)
Why is my cat scratching at the window?
Unlike dogs, cats won’t scratch at the window or door just because they want out. (Though some do, and that will be something you’ll need to know your cat personally to confirm.) Even if that were the case, because their claws are naturally withdrawn, his act would be more pawing, rather than scratching. He may see his reflection and want to fight this “other” cat, or he may be acting on a desire to hunt what he sees outside. Most commonly, though, when a cat scratches at anything it’s because he’s trying to file his nails down. They don’t dig as commonly as dogs and they don’t tolerate the trim as easily, so you will see your cat taking measures to create more comfortable nail lengths all on his own. A window is an odd place to scratch, admittedly, but it’s common for cats to scratch where they spend time and if your cat spends the most time at the window, the glass may bear the brunt of that.
If you want to avoid the scratching, you can trim or file his nails down a bit, but that will certainly be the larger time commitment on your part, so you may want to consider purchasing a cat scratching post or toy that will allow him to take care of his own nails without scratching up your home.
Can cats scratch glass?
Yes, cats can scratch windows, though it is incredibly uncommon and the glass would have to be pretty weakened for that to be the case. If metal can’t scrape the class, the bone of your cat’s claws has an even less chance. If your windows have a protective coating, that may be damaged by scratches, as will prolonged, repeated use on older windows. Because of this, you won’t want it to become a habit for your kitty, but it won’t, in all likelihood, cause any noticeable damage if he scratches once or twice.
Other Cat Window Perches We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other window perches for your cat. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cat window perch list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your cat. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Climbing Cat Window Perches
- Shelf Cat Window Perches
- Suction Cat Window Perches
- Velcro Cat Window Perches
Climbing Cat Window Perches
Though this is pictured with a dog, your cat will love using it to climb up to his favorite window.
- Made with faux fur carpet
- 2 sizes available
- 3 color options
This tree is one your cat will love to climb in order to get to a window, giving him plenty of exercise.
- Replacement scratching posts available
- Perch includes suction to secure
This cat perch may be the exact perfect height for your window and if so, all the better that it comes with two soft, memory foam pads.
- 2 color options
- 3 design choices
- Cave, scratching/climbing posts, and 2 perches
Shelf Cat Window Perches
This perch features a curved design to make it all the more comfortable for your pet.
- 16″L x 12″D x 5″H
- Installs in less than 5 min
- Bonus e-book included, “How to Teach Your Cat the High-Five Trick”
This is a version of “dinner and a show” that cats will love.
- 2 bowls included
- Made with solid wood
- Top L-bracket mounts
Short paragraph describing the product.
- Easy, 3-screw installation
- 19″L x 10.8″D
- Includes 3 replacement mats
These DIY shelves will allow your cat to bound and climb up to the window perch or you could put one beneath each of his favorite windows.
- 17″L x 12″D
- Set of 3
- 22 lb weight capacity
Suction Cat Window Perches
This perch has a bit of give in it, so your cat will feel all the more snug and comfortable in her own little hammock.
- 55 lb max capacity
- 2 replacement suction cups included
- Made of oxford cloth
This cat window perch will provide your cat with feather toys for his entertainment, in case nothing’s happening outside.
- 33 lb max capacity
- 21″L x 13″D
- Replacement suction included
This bottom-mounted suctioned window perch will provide your cat a cup-style hammock on which to rest.
- 14.5″ in diameter
- 28 lb max capacity
- 4 colors available
If your cat likes to climb, then this double stack perch will give him the opportunity to do so while getting plenty of time for sun bathing, too.
- Reinforced steel frame
- 100 lb max capacity
- 1-year warranty
This cat window perch is bottom suction mounted so there won’t be any ropes or strings in his way as he lounges.
- 2 color choices
- Quick and easy assembly
- Machine washable
This perch is so well made, the manufacturer gives no hesitation to offer a 100% guarantee on its quality.
- 22″L x 12″W x 1.5″H
- Made with breathable oxford cloth
- 30 lb max capacity
This cat window perch is made with a breathable and waterproof fabric that is made to last.
- 60 lb max capacity
- Includes bonus 2 cat toys
- 28.5″L x 15″W
This cat window perch is a large enough capacity to withstand 60 pounds of cat – one, two, or maybe even three cats!
- 26″L x 14″W
- Bonus cat charmer toy included
- Machine washable, detachable blanket
This hammock style cat window perch will give your cat a relaxing place on which to rule the outside world from on high.
- 50 lb max capacity
- Bonus cat toy
- 21.5″L x 12.8″W
Velcro Cat Window Perches
You can install this window perch for your cat two different ways; and for the smaller cat, you won’t need to worry about any tools at all!
- Machine washable seat
- 35 lb max capacity
- 23.75″L x 12″W
This window perch will serve as the most comfortable bed your cat has – aside from your lap.
- Soft padded cushion
- 24″L x 16″W
- Solid wood with walnut finish
The padding of this window perch for your cat comes off and is machine washable, making it a breeze to clean up any messes.
- Velcro to window sill
- Reinforce with screws and anchors option
- 23.75″L x 12″D
You’ll be able to install this cat window perch without damaging your walls – all you need is a sturdy window sill.
- Removable, machine washable cover
- 24″ W x 12″ D x 11.5″ H
- 2 packaging options available